Moving Forward Standing Still

10 commentsArtists

We can be marsupials.

Like many expressions, the word “talented” has lost its meaning. After seeing it tossed around left and right at idiots like the boys and girls on TV who shake their butts to 3 minutes of noise and lip-syncing, I’ve all but dropped it from my vocabulary, especially when it comes to people I admire and respect.

Loryne Atoui is one to watch.

So it is with some trepidation that I use it to describe my friend Loryne, who is not only “that-which-shall-not-be-named” (no not Voldemort), but I’d even attach the prefix “multi-” to it. Plus she has the most amazing set of curls since Charlize Theron in The Devil’s Advocate, before she went all nuts (Charlize not Loryne).

Over the past months I’ve spotted those springy, haywire, mischievous curls at media seminars, advertising workshops, charity events, art shows, and most recently photo exhibitions. And like the head they’re attached to, they never cease to impress me (عجبني راسك مان).

Lollyno’s latest project is ostensibly called Moving Forward Standing Still, a photography exhibition set to the theme of tradition versus modernity. The photographs are deceptively simple: a series of closeups, environmental portraits, and some objets trouvés taken by Loryne over the past year in places ranging from Lebanon to Kathmandu, brought together by her curious lens and the effect of that curiosity on her subjects.

These bicyles are going nowhere.

What sets Loryne apart is not technique (many emerging local and international photographers astound us with that but little else) though she has that in spades. Nor is it topicality (news-gatherers have the monopoly on that) though her images of dilapidated Saida houses and their young inhabitants are a perfect example of the ancient city’s current struggles with modernization.

In fact, Loryne’s photography is so simple and unpretentious that we might be deluded into thinking “Hey, I can do that!” — until we find in it the ingredient most lacking in today’s images: Heart.

Moving Forward Standing Still • Photo exhibit by Loryne Atoui

At Café de Prague in Beirut through the month of May.

And if you’re not fortunate enough to live in the Greatest City on Earth (hey it’s my blog so I’m allowing myself some hyperbole), check out her photostream on Flickr or follow her on Twitter @LoryneAtoui.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Samsam May 11, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Lollyne I'm your biggest fan! Byerja3 meedo! :)

Meedo May 11, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Meedo Samsam same same.

Samsam May 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I love the photos, and the text!!!

Corinne May 11, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I can't wait to see this!!!

Loryne May 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I keep re-reading this, thinking: hey – that can't be me he's writing about.. :-)
Thanks a million for such a wonderful description of the exhibit and for your support of my photography. Yalla, this should be a push for you to exhibit your awesome pics ;-)

Meedo May 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm

You're most welcome Lollyno, though I should point out that here at meedosite “we” (haha, I) only write what we genuinely believe. Stick to your guns and we all can't wait to see what you do next. x

Mirella McCracken May 12, 2010 at 6:41 pm

You go girl!!! Good luck Loryne!

Tai game vui nhon October 25, 2015 at 8:47 am

Most beneficial gentleman speeches and toasts are made to enliven supply accolade up to the wedding couple. Newbie audio system the attention of loud crowds should always think about typically the great norm off presentation, which is their private. best man speaches

Phillip November 20, 2015 at 7:48 pm

There’s a joke to be found about a Mosh pit, however, I don’t have the time. And, she’s truly beutfiual, so it would probably be in poor taste. In any case, consider me a new fan.

tai game mien phi ve dien thoai November 28, 2015 at 7:12 am

What i don’t understood is in reality how you are not really much more well-appreciated than you might be right now. You are so intelligent. You realize therefore significantly when it comes to this topic, produced me in my opinion imagine it from so many numerous angles. Its like women and men aren’t fascinated except it’s one thing to do with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs nice. Always maintain it up!.