The Problem with Dubai

9 commentsDubai,Tokyo,Writing

The Dubai Skyline: Building-Gap-Building-Gap-Building, or S-O-S.

A metropolis is a boundless synthesis of cities and villages. It often begins life as a labyrinthine castle town that evolves over time into a dense urban network that never truly reveals itself, flickering in a perpetual process of spontaneous change that thrives on a highly erratic ritual of destruction and rebuilding.

Tokyo is such a metropolis. A city with no beginning and no end, it is where stories are spliced together and juxtaposed, sometimes in harmony, but more frequently in apparent chaos. The Japanese word for space is ma, which combines gate mon and sun hi. The literal translation of ma is “interval” or “space in between” — the light that shines through an open gate.

Ever so slowly, amidst the clutter of the metropolis emerges an immutable harmony that, like almost everything about Tokyo, spurns words for the silences in between: a naked urban haiku that washes transparent dreams over the jungle of concrete, the tangle of time.

So we ask: In a culture mortally terrified by emptiness, what is the future of a city that has no space for space?

For more on Japanese letters, refer to Why I love Kanji on meedosite.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Tai game chem hoa qua October 10, 2015 at 3:51 pm

If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content.

Tai game Car Racing October 10, 2015 at 5:50 pm

The best woman speeches and toasts must occupy and give memorialize for any groom and bride. Beginning car speakers face-to-face with flashy crowd should realize typically the gold colored concept pointing to presentation, which is to be your own home. best man jokes

Tai Ola chat Sex October 10, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Thank you for all of the hard work on this website. Debby really loves doing internet research and it’s easy to see why. My spouse and i hear all regarding the lively ways you deliver powerful tips and tricks on your website and as well as encourage participation from other people on that matter while our favorite girl is without a doubt studying so much. Take pleasure in the rest of the new year. You’re the one carrying out a really great job.

Tai game danh bai October 13, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Now this is weird, all jokes aside this is the second time today that I found this blog when searching for two totally different things. Has anyone else ever done that?

Tai Game Danh Bai October 16, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Super-Duper blog! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also.

thiet ke web o dau tot nhat October 28, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Oh my goodness! It is like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pictures to drive the message home a bit, besides that, this is informative blog post. A outstanding read. I will definitely return again.. Thiet Ke Web .

icon thiet ke web November 12, 2015 at 3:50 pm

WomaEdoxsdezdidll, qnnaked. Thiet Ke Web .

Jorge November 20, 2015 at 5:08 pm

I am in awe of this quality uunqie content. You may not know how rare that is in today’s writing world. Your points of interest in this article almost match my own thoughts. Thank you.

Salvador Marner November 23, 2015 at 4:52 pm

I want to start selling hair bows. How do I get a website started and what are the costs?. How do I design it?.